The Little Black Dress - Everything You Need To Know
Posted on June 26 2014
It's Saturday night and you have been looking forward to that party all week, only to realize you have no cool clothes to wear! Let's face it - you probably have two hundred ladies dresses in your wardrobe but none of them fit the bill. Or maybe your best friend still hasn’t returned your favorite low cut dress. Instead of recalling your favorite FML moments, you can turn to the one solution for all occasions - the little black dress!
Yes, it is a cliché, the little black dress. But there couldn’t be an easier way to look sexy. With the increasing focus on today's trashy and tasteless fashion everyone can do with a fresh breath of sophistication. Show off your little black dress the right way and you will have the right type of men falling all over you.
Who invented the Little Black Dress
- During the Victorian era, a grieving widow was expected to wear black for at least two years - All of this changed at the will of a woman named Coco Chanel - The story behind the little black dress
- The LBD is most famously associated with Coco Chanel, but it is worth noting that Chanel did not invent the Little Black Dress.
Some famous little black dresses over the ages:
Black dresses are always iconic statement dresses. Worn over the ages, a few have been remarkable enough to be constantly remembered and referred to. Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's is nearly 60 years old and it will always be the iconic black dress.
- Audrey Hepburn - Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Robert Palmer (video) - Addicted To Love (perhaps more famous for the red lips)
- Lady Diana's Revenge Dress - After separation from Prince Charles
- Liz Hurley's safety pin dress - later worn by Lady Gaga
- Angelina Jolie - Maleficient. Check out the amazing photos with Brad!
- Kim Kardashian - sexy before the wedding
- Rihanna - Most Desirable Women Award 2014
How to rock a LBD
So how exactly to wear a little black dress. Fortunately there are thousands of ways. This dress is truly Miss Versatility as you will see as you click through the links below. The interesting conundrum of whether you can wear black to a wedding, now resolved with a resounding yes, shows just how far we have come from that point where black dresses were exclusively reserved for mourning.
Here's how to stand out in a world where so many women are relying on their own little black dresses.
- How to rock a little black dress
- 14 ways to wear a lbd - includes with a red bag and a statement necklace, plus red lips!
- Can you really wear black to a wedding - Yes you can but...
- Get your LBD ready for summer - go beachy and cool with flat summer sandals!
- How to wear a LBD in dead of winter - it's my anniversary!
- Look at how I layer my LBD in the cold (video) - Now that its cold out, layer layer layer it up.
- Spice up my LBD (video) - Don't get boring in your LBD.
- 5 ways to wear a LBD (video) - with a $15 dress from H&M.
- One last video by Fabsugar
How not to rock your LBD
Then there are certain things you just shouldn't do with a little black dress.
- How not to wear a LBD - avoid the witch and Victorian look.
Shoes and your LBD
There are so many shoes and just as many ways to wear them with your LBD. This dress can truly get you from office to office party simply through the addition of varying accessories, and shoes are some of the most important.
- Best shoes for your LBD - from sky high to funky!
- Shoes to wear with your LBD (video) - Katherine Akra helps pick out the right shoe to wear with your LBD.
How to make a LBD
Of course not everyone wants to make their own little black dress especially now that you can buy a perfectly presentable one for around the $15 mark. But sometimes a girl has got to do what a girl has got to do and making, wearing and then talking about what you have done can be entertainment all in itself.
Try it, and tell us about your experience in a comment below.
- How to make a basic black dress (video)- every girl needs one.
What do men think about the LBD
Want to know what the guys think? Here are two very interesting articles on exactly that topic. Don't let the second one worry you too much, if a girl is at full confidence we all know no guy can resist.
- All the men agreed that the classic black dress — albeit fitted — was a good choice.
- RedbookMag.com - We asked seven women to tell us when they feel most desirable — then got the scoop from each of their guys on what makes him hot for her. Here, the sweet, sexy, and surprising answers.
Songs and music about the LBD
Surprisingly there hasn't been that much music written exclusively about these dresses that is sufficiently in the mainstream to be picked up here. One Direction has recently put a marker down.
- Little Black Dress (video) - One Direction
- Tim McGraw (video) - Taylor Swift, her LBD is her happiness.
- Gettin' You Home (The Black Dress Song) (video) - Chris Young
- Breakfast At Tiffany's opening scene (video) - One of the most famous LBD of them all.
Where is the best place to buy a LBD
There are thousands of places and you will have your own favourites but just for completeness I have added a few of my own. This is The Kewl Shop blog so clearly it gets a mention right at the top, but I'll vouch for those dresses, they have a way of making you feel wonderful, and nicely tucked in.
- The Kewl Shop - Black bandage dress collection
- Macy's - Little Black Dress
- WetSeal.com - Black dresses
- NastyGal - LBD
Fitting into your LBD
Just in case you are worried about whether you can still fit into your fav LBD, we've added this one last link below. There are no mentions of diets here, just pure raw physical exercise as that is the best way to lose the weight (I can feel another lengthy blog coming on here).The little black dress workout (video) - what you need to do to get into your LBD!
Mention ‘Mardi Gras’ and the mind instantly conjures up images of a colorful ...
Mardi Gras is the biggest event of the year in New Orleans, one that attracts...
There is no secret that women come in all shapes and sizes, and that the best...
Kim Kardashian West is a celebrity that we follow closely at the shop. She’s ...
Every year we feel bloated and guilty because we’ve snacked more than we shou...
The most popular styles and sexy dress trends for the spring are first introd...
The holiday season is over and so is your festive excuse to munch on Christma...
Skin care is part of our everyday beauty regime. Beautiful and flawless skin ...
To lead a healthy lifestyle you need to exercise, eat a balanced diet, and co...