10 Exercises To Do At Work
Posted on September 04 2016
“I know I need to exercise, but I don’t have time. After work I just want to veg out on the sofa with a glass of wine.” Are you tired and exhausted as the day comes to a close and do you prefer to veg out instead of donning something sexy like a black midi dress? It is quite likely that you have heard one of your girlfriends bemoan the lack of time to exercise, or are guilty of saying this yourself.
A sedentary lifestyle is one of the biggest disadvantages of being dependent on modern-day gadgets for work. Sitting for long hours at a stretch can also do a lot of harm to your health such as causing aches in your body and poor blood circulation. As Kewl Girls we also know that all that sitting also leads to unsightly changes in your body like obvious love handles and the dreaded double chin.
The question is, how do you deal with balancing full-time demanding with with a healthy lifestyle? We recommend that you incorporate a number of exercises into your everyday routine even as you carry on with your job sitting at your desk. Deskercises, or exercises that you do while sitting at your work desk, have helped innumerable people deal with the nagging health problems and pains associated with sitting for too long. We’ve compiled a list of the 10 exercises to practice at work.
Benefits: Increases the flexibility in your wrist and arms. Relieves stress.
Stretching exercises are good for controlling your muscles and reducing stress when you are neck deep in work and tensed. Performing arm stretches even while seated at your desk can work immediately to renew your energy and relax stiff muscles. Here’s how to effectively do arm stretches.
- With your right arm, reach out to your left as far as you can.
- Use your left elbow to support the right arm by placing it in the crook of the elbow. You will feel the stretch through the muscles.
- Hold for five seconds before releasing.
- Repeat 8-10 times and then switch arms to stretch your left arm.
Benefits: Toning your buttocks.
Yes, you can work your booty muscles even as you sit at office and work on that presentation. The advantage of this deskercise is that no one will even notice that you are performing crunches—not even your neighbor. Booty clenches are ideal for strengthening your derriere but if you want to achieve more shape we recommend that you focus on compound movements. To keep your buttocks toned, here’s all you need to do:
- Squeeze or clench your butt cheeks together.
- Hold them together for 10 seconds and then release.
- Repeat 8-10 times or until you feel that your glutes are tired.
Try out your new booty in a blue bandage dress, these dresses shape your curves and the color highlights and accentuates perfectly.
Benefits: Build stronger abdominal muscles. Reduce lower back pain.
Wishing for sculpted abs seems like a daydream for most of us cooped up in our cubicles for the better part of the day. But squeezing in just a bit of time into your workday to do this exercise even while sitting enables you to work on your ab muscles in a smart way. Here’s how:
- Sit on the edge of your chair with a straight back and place your arms over your chest in a crossed manner.
- While inhaling, lightly flex or squeeze the muscles on your abdomen.
- Exhale slowly without relaxing the muscles, and squeeze them tighter while gradually turning right with your upper body.
- Inhale again and twist to the center, returning to the original position.
- Repeat the same to your left side. Repeat 10 times on each side.
Benefits: Strengthen your core muscles and reduce your waistline.
Are you worried about your waistline becoming non-existent because of the long hours of sitting at work? Now you can make the chair you sit on work to your advantage by using it for this simple yet effective deskercise. These are the steps:
- Remain seated with your spine straight and upright.
- Rotate as far as possible to your left.
- Hold this position for five seconds, return to your start position, and repeat for your other side.
- If you need extra support to hold the rotation grab the backrest of your chair.
- Complete up to five sets.
Benefits: Exercise hip and thigh muscles. Relax leg muscles.
Your legs don’t just get tired from walking. They also experience exhaustion from being stiff and immobile. The good news is that an easy-to-perform exercise can help release stress from your leg muscles while also working for your thighs and hip. Here’s what you need to do:
- Sit on the edge of a chair and place your arms on both sides.
- Extend the right leg outward while keeping it straight and flex your foot enough to ensure that the right heel is touching the floor.
- Raise the leg up as high as possible without making your back rounded.
- Count to 3, and bring your leg down.
- Repeat for each leg 10 times and perform 2-3 sets.
Benefits: Exercise the backs of your thighs.
Another leg deskercise, is one that works to tone and relax the muscles on the back of your thighs. If you are using any regular chair, this is what you need to do:
- Wear socks or place a towel on the floor a little distance away from your chair, and extend both your legs forward.
- Use your legs to draw the towel towards your chair while remaining seated.
- Straighten your legs, and then slide the towel out once more in order to return to your original position.
If you work on a chair that has wheels, even better. Just follow these steps:
- Extend your legs to your front with heels touching the floor and toes facing upward.
- Bend your knees and press the heels into the floor while trying to wheel the chair forward to where your feet are. Remember to keep the rest of your body still while doing this.
- Stick your legs out again and repeat the process. You can do up to 10 repetitions of the chair slide at a time.
Benefits: Strengthen your core and thigh muscles.
During your next conference call work your leg muscles with this effective exercise. This simple deskercise is easy to perform and will barely be noticed by anyone around. This is how to do leg lifts at work:
- While sitting, place both your feet flat on the ground and keep your back straight.
- Lift your right leg until it touches the bottom of your workdesk.
- Bring it back to the ground, then repeat for the left leg. You can do 10 sets of eight repetitions of this exercise.
Benefits: Exercise various joints, triceps, and your shoulder area.
The shoulder and triceps (upper arms) are major problem because they are often hunched over a computer for long hours each day. To relax these muscles, perform the press-up exercise while at work. This is how you do it:
- Sit on the edge of a chair and place your palms by the side, over the edge of the seat.
- Put pressure on your arms like you are trying to lift yourself off your chair, but do not raise yourself up.
- Hold this position for three counts before releasing. This simple exercise can be repeated 10 times.
Benefits: Exercise your calf muscles.
This is a great exercise when you want to get your calf muscles toned without resorting to weights or tough exercises at the gym. With this deceptively simple deskercise, working your calves becomes a breeze. Just follow these steps:
- Remain seated and lift both legs up right on the tips of your toes.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds. You will soon feel the burn in your calf muscles—it only means that the exercise is working.
- Repeat the step 8-10 times.
Water Bottle Workout
Benefits: Reduce neck, shoulder, and back pain.
Sitting hunched at your desk while you furiously answer emails is a common scenario in all offices today that often leads to complaints of a constant ache in the back, neck, and shoulders. If you too have been facing this, all you need is a water bottle for a deskercise that works toward alleviating this nagging pain. This is what you should do:
- Keeping your back upright and shoulders down, sit halfway on your chair to get into position.
- Keep a plastic water bottle between your knees and line up your knee with the ankle.
- Ensure that your calves and thighs are at a 90-degree angle and your feet approximately 4 inches apart.
- Squeeze the bottle with your thighs about 30 times to work your thigh muscles as well.
These deskercises are simple ways to exercise while meeting the demands of your daily requirement. They are effective when you cannot find time to hit the gym daily because they make the best out of your everyday sedentary time. Naturally, we aren’t promising an hourglass figure just by performing these but we are promising relief and rejuvenation to help pass the day away with ease. Prior to beginning any exercise routine it is recommended that you consul your doctor. Experiment with these exercises to discover what works the best for you.
Fashionistas around the world eagerly follow the latest runway shows and fash...
How many times have you heard your girlfriends and colleagues complain about ...
Is it possible to give Easter a modern twist – why not? We are talking about ...
Many women are wary of using weights while exercising because of the notion t...
It's Saturday night and you have been looking forward to that party all week,...
Recently, Eunice Modlin of Boonville, Indiana made news when she celebrated h...
We simply love festivals—after all, it is just another formal occasion to mee...
What is the one thing that sets apart celebs like Jennifer Lopez and Kim Kard...
Mention ‘Mardi Gras’ and the mind instantly conjures up images of a colorful ...